A lexicon of knife terminiology

Return to Index/Main Page
A lexicon of knife terminology: Section G
Numbers  A   B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

G10: A strong fiberglass epoxy resin material used as a handle material.

GEC: Abbreviation for Great Eastern Cutlery, an American knife manufacturer located in Titusville Pennsylvania.

Gentleman’s:  a small s knife made of finer materials suitable for carrying to formal occasions. Knives such as tiny-toothpicks, peanuts, lobsters, equal-end pens are often considered gentleman's knives. 

Gerber Legendary Blade:  An American Knife company located in Tigard Oregon.

German Marine Steel . A steel used in nautical knives, usually Krupp 4116 Stainless Steel. Similar in quality to 440C but with better corrosion resistance.

German -silver. An old term for nickel-silver. It is an copper alloy containing nickel and sometimes zinc.  It is normally used for knife bolsters and shield inlays as it closely resembles the shine and luster of silver.

Gimping: A misnomer, see Jimping

Global Production (globals, globally produced):  Global Production (globals, globally produced):  A term used by American owned knife companies which have their product made in another country. The word global is applied to avoid giving the name of the country where production took place. This is primarily a political/ethical concern within the United States as many American knife companies moved production off shore to reduce overhead. See import/export for a comparison. A more appropriate term would be off-shoring.

Golok: A shorter bladed parang style machete originating in Southeast Asia. The Golok style came into favor with the British Army during the Malayan Emergency in 1954. While its primary use if for clearing brush, the shorter length makes it an effective fighting knife. The golok's blade tends to hover around 10-14 inches. (See machete, parang, bolo, kukri for comparison)

Guard: A protuberance at the top of a knife’s handle that prevents the hand from making contact with the blade’s cutting surface.

Garden or Gardening knife: Any of a variety of knives used in horticulture or gardening. The family includes pruning, budding, grafting, mushroom collecting, cotton samplers, meon testers. Also known as horticulture knives or by their specific function. 

Gunstock: A style of folding knife handle. That resembles the stock on Winchester 1873 rifle.

Gut Hook: A small cut- out normally found near the tip of a blade   which will allow a hunter to cut through hide of a animal without making contact with internal organs. Guthooks are also used for cutting line.

Grafting knife: A horticulture knife with specialty blade used for grafting branches. The blade is normally a large sheepfoot or coping style blade. See Garden knife or Horticulture knife for related knives.

Granddaddy Barlow:  A traditional pattern folding knife; a large frame barlow, about five inch closed length. It normally has a single clip blade. The knife has a large bolster (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the knife handle) at the top and is bare ended.(Compare to barlow)

Grand-daddy barlow

Modern era Marbles brand grand daddy barlow with stag & natural bone scales and factory scrimshaw work.

Gravity Knife: A type of knife where the blade slides out the front. The blade isn't pused or assisted with a spring but falls freely out the front when pointed toward the ground and you press a release. The release is then pushed to a lock position and the blade locks in the open position. Upon unlocking the release and pointing the blade to the sky or pressing it against a surface will then return the blade to its safe position. See also: Out The Front

Grip: The handle of a knife; normally handle material attached to the tang of fixed blade knife.

Groove:  An archaic term used for a nail-nick

Return to Index/Main Page